Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Short Skirts and Catcalls

Despite what is politically correct, or what countless of numbers of women claim…I have to confess…I don’t mind it when I get catcalled on the street. Actually, I kind of like it. I think it's flattering. And I don’t think that anyone who claims otherwise is telling the truth.
Last week, in the uncharacteristically warm weather, I left my apartment to mail a letter. I was headed only up the block, so I didn't bother to dress up. Even in my "lounge wear," the men that are working on the property next to mine didn't hesitate to stop in their tracks to whistle and call out to me. And I loved every minute of it.
Did I linger at the mailbox a few seconds longer in order to give them the show that they deserved? Perhaps. Did my hips sway a little more with my new confidence as I headed back into my own building? Definitely. And as I caught a glimpse of myself in the mirrored elevator doors that headed back upstairs to my home, I smiled a little…feeling just that much more desirable.
No one needs to tell you that compliments make you feel better. Donning high heels and a slightly shorter skirt than other women my age can make the looks from men on the street even more sweet. I'm not saying I dress for strangers or construction workers in order to get attention…don’t get me wrong. I dress sexy for myself because it makes me feel sexy. And I can't help it that I like the feel of eyes on me…and I don’t believe it for a second if anyone out there doesn't feel the exact same way sometimes.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

All they can do is whistle, because the Hov-a-rounds were out of batteries.

I didn't know you could whistle with dentures.

Okay, well that was mean, sorry. But you'll forget about it once the oat bran kicks in. Hey look, Wilford Brimley, he's such a nice boy.

This 'clever comment' thing was a battle of 12's right? Hmm, somehow I think I'm in for a good talking too.

Anonymous said...

Well, Lethal Lady, it's so good to hear someone finally speak the truth! All women feel the same way, but never are honest about it. We should all be encouraged to add a little sway to our step, if we so feel the desire to, if not for others to see than just ourselves.

Tommy said...

Just as any red-blooded hetero man in today's age, I enjoy taking a peek every now and again. Working on a great fashion street in Center City Philadelphia, during lunch, you get some pleasing-to-the-eye women more often than not. Sure, I wear dark sunglasses so I can stare a little longer than usual, but hey, I'm a visual kinda guy. Does that make me a creep? No! (I'm a creep even if I didn't wear the glasses…) Congrats on your views lady lethal!

Anonymous said...

If I'm still getting cat calls at your age, I'll be a lucky lady. You go girl!